Here is my completed poster. It shows my Facebook friends using percentages and sub categorised into male and female, whilst also splitting into groups of people, such as people I work with, or people in my immediate family. 

I found it interesting because I could see data from my own personal Facebook stats, for example I learnt that my Facebook friends are split half and half between males and females.

In terms of what went well and not so well I think the design concept is good because I have used devices that will make the poster very understandable to audiences without it explained to them. I did this by re-creating the Facebook news feed using Vector Graphics in InkScape, which is a free design programme. I think because I used these graphics, its very easy to understand what the poster is trying to represent. 

However, I do feel though that the data set that I decided on was a bit too simple,kind of very literal and obvious and I think that if I were to do this again, I would possible research more into the sort of connections between my friends

Advertisements

Here a few screen grabs of vectors that I created in Inkscape to trace out some of the Facebook icons to be used as part of my poster. I did the same as I had previously done and used the layers tool to trace over images downloaded from Google. I then changed around the fill and stroke settings to change the colour of each element. I then grouped element together and added it to my poster. 

Here I created vectors to represent male and female icons. To do this, I downloaded the original images from Google (the left icons), created a new layer and traced over the top using a mixture of the circle, rectangle and bezier tool. 

I will use these icons as part of the key in my poster. In my previous posts, I used text to represent this, but I want to have as little text as possible on my poster. 

Here is the progress of my poster.  I have now created the the “thumb” vector, which will be used to represent my data of how many facebook friends I have. Each thumb represents 10%. I then split them into blue and pink to represent males and females. I plan to add some more vectors by tracing icons. I want to make it look even further like facebook, so i plan to add in a few icons, such as the notifications button etc. 

I have completed the layout for my poster. As I am using data from Facebook, I thought it would be great visually to use the Facebook News Feed page as a kind of background for the data. The Facebook News Feed is iconic in ways and is I think visually the audience of the poster will recognise that I am trying to represent Facebook.

Firstly, I opened a new A2 document on Inkscape. I then created  5 rectangles for the top bar and “posts”,- where my data would be placed.  To match the colours of the blue for the banner and the background I took a screen grab of my personal Facebook news feed and then opened this in Photoshop. I then used the Eyedropper tool and it told me exactly what colour was being used. I then copy and pasted the RGB value into Inkscape to match the colour. 

I also found online the font that Facebook use and used the same one for the text used within the poster, so it would make it resemble the Facebook news feed even more. 

To make it more realistic I traced the Facebook logo and added to the top bar. To do this, I opened a new Inkscape document, downloaded the logo from Google Images and imported it into the document. I then used a new layer and used the “draw bezier curves and straight line” tool to trace the outline of the logo. It then created a new shape based on the lines that I had connected. I then used the “node” tool tweak the lines. I then removed the logo that I had downloaded from the background so it just the trace. II then copied and pasted the trace into the poster. 

I did the same thing for the Facebook thumb logo, another recognisable icon from the website.